7 reasons you should consider Acupuncture
At Great Northern Physiotherapy our Physios have undertaken postgraduate training in Acupuncture Treatment and regularly offer this as part of a clients treatment plan. Here are just a few reasons why you might want to try it:
- Acupuncture uses super fine single use needles that stimulate scientifically proven effects to help control pain in the body. The procedure involves little or no pain.
- During acupuncture treatment the brain releases chemicals called endogenous opioids that act as the bodies own painkillers.
- Acupuncture is recommended in the NICE (National Institute of Clinical Effectiveness) clinical guidelines for the management of lower back pain. This was based on a range of clinical studies that showed acupuncture is more effective than placebo interventions.
- Studies have shown that acupuncture can be very effective at managing chronic knee pain.
- Acupuncture has been shown to be very effective in relieving headaches.
- Acupuncture or “Dry needling” can help to relieve painful taut bands in muscle tissue called Myofascial trigger points, something very common in the sporting population.
- Melatonin can increase following acupuncture, helping you to get a good night’s sleep!